Sunday 24 February 2013

Projects

Konrad Filip (1874-1940)
Peonies in a Vase


One of my projects this spring is to study and paint peonies.  I started to a couple of years ago but abandoned this after not being true to myself by getting distracted and affected by other happenings in my life. In addition to this I want to learn portrait painting.

"This luxuriant still-life with its intense pinks contrasted with the sharply defined dark-green leaves and stems appears to float in mid-air owing to the virtual transparency of the glass vase. Filip imbues his subject-matter with great voluptuousness. In this picture Filip makes little attempt to produce a realistic botanical likeness. Instead, he is far more interested in inspiring a certain set of emotional responses in the spectator relating to the strong visual impact of the image. Filip is part of the same tradition as the Symbolist painter Odilon Redon in that the aim is not to achieve the mimetic precision of more conventional academic painters such as Fantin- Latour but instead to generate a chain of visual and sensual resonances in the spectator in much the same way that Baudelaire and Rimbaud had sought to do with their highly evocative synaesthetic poetry in the latter part of the 19th century. The painter encourages us to embark on a journey of free association where our senses are brought into play to produce a complex emotional and aesthetic response.
Filip was a Croatian painter born in 1874 in Zagreb. He studied at the Vienna Academy and also at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. For much of his life he lived and worked in Munich where he died in 1940." Source  http://www.haninafinearts.com/art/art_single.asp?artid=450

A list of things I'd like to do and achieve for the remainder of my life and in no particular order are:

1) Paint and study peonies
2) Learn to paint portraits
3) Make a film
4) Buy a place for myself with a garden
5) Visit South America
6) Visit Provence
7) Eat healthy food
8) Exercise on a regular basis- running, jogging, cycling
9) Fit yoga and pilates into my daily routine
10) Be happier with myself
11) Create a small library
12) Learn to play the guitar
13) Pass my driving test
14) Pass my professional qualification
15) Tailor my vintage dresses
16) Wear more of my vintage dresses
17) Attend sample sales to get good bargains
18) Learn flower arranging
19) Cook more
20) Plant roses and other beautiful flowers in my garden
21) Create a herb garden
22) Volunteer for youth drama club
23) Go to the theatre a few times a year
24) Read books for the non fiction book club
25) Read more poetry
26) Write a book
27) Write a play
28) Visit South East Asia
29) Relax



No comments:

Post a Comment