Tuesday 23 October 2012

Vintage dreams- some tips

I'm really glad I came across Tales of Endearment website by Natalie Joos. She re-ignited my fire about vintage, lifestyle and style itself.

I have neglected my vintage clothes for the past year or so, they sit in my drawers and hang in my wardrobe unloved :(

Vintage isn't always easy to buy, one dress I got on ebay was terrible with holes and what appeared to be animal hairs....urghhh....so only buy from reputable vintage dealers or but from shops where you can see the clothes for real.  East London , UK has a good few vintage shops.

My favourite vintage dress is a little too big for me so I need to get it resized.  I thought I'd share some tips with you:

1) Buy from reputable vintage suppliers- check out their ratings on ebay and  reviews on their website and independent review sites where available..
2) Buy in person where possible as the best way to really truly decide is in person,  colours (on your screen) and even sizes may not be accurate enough. Plus there may be issues not disclosed on some websites- be aware!  Some retailers do take returns, read the small print.
3) Unknown labelled clothing can be just as beautiful or more so than a vintage Dior for example. Price tags are not everything.  I have no designer vintage but have been complimented so proof!!
4) Remember that the clothing from previous eras were designed to last and are likely to have good craftmanship and unique designs and motifs
5) Enjoy and look after your vintage treasures!

Polly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment